Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Teen hazing on the rise

In a recent study out of the University of Maine, almost 50 percent of college students said that they experienced some form of hazing in high school. I hate to have my book SISTERS OF MISERY be so accurate in terms of the hazing that takes place amongst teenagers, but this answers the question that I'm asked at every book club meeting. Does this type of hazing really exist in high school? While Kate Endicott and the Sisters of Misery take it to the extreme in my novel, unfortunately hazing does exist in various forms in high schools throughout the country (hopefully not as horrific as the events on Misery Island).

Bullying and hazing amongst teens has to stop, and the fact that 50% have suffered some form of hazing in their teen years is absolutely disgusting. I would be happy to speak at any schools or teen groups in New England about anti-hazing tactics. Feel free to email me to invite me to your school or town library.

xoxo
Megan

0 comments: