Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

GCC Tours Diana Rodriguez Wallach

I'm thrilled to tour my fellow Kensington author, Diana Rodriguez Wallach and her new book ADIOS TO ALL THE DRAMA. First, I'll do a little and Q & A with Diana and then I'll fill you in on Diana and her novel (and did I mention she has an awesome publisher? Kensington? Oh right, I already did.) :)

Who do you find yourself being compared to or are often put together with in reading lists or book clubs?

Actually, Amor and Summer Secrets is often compared to fellow GCC author Alyson Noel’s Cruel Summer. How flattering is that? I only hope some of the readers who love Alyson’s stories will take a liking to mine.


If someone was going to join your book club, what would be a “must read” in order to join?

I have several favorite books. One of my favorites is The Little Prince. I think the lessons in that story are useful at any age (even the dedication inspires me). And I’m a huge Jane Austin fan, so her novels would also be a must. On the lighter side, I think an appreciation for Jon Stewart is very important. So I’d make sure my fellow members read America the Book.


What was your “initiation” to writing?

I think the Mardi Gras parades of 2006 initiated me. After my book went on submission with editors, my husband, Jordan , took a vacation to New Orleans . On Fat Tuesday, we spent the morning catching beads from parade floats in New Orleans . We stopped into our hotel room for a few minutes to dump our bounty when my cell phone rang. It was my agent. And it was THE CALL.

I was wearing a sequined mask with feathers and my favorite strings of gold, purple and green beads that I had caught during the trip. (On my website, there’s a photo of me on the phone with my agent during the exact moment I got the news of my book sale, http://www.dianarodriguezwallach.com/amor_and_summer_secrets_story.html)

Let me just say that there is no better place on Earth to be when you get good news than Mardi Gras. There was an actual parade going on outside of my hotel room. I hung up the phone and spent the rest of the day dancing in the French Quarter with hundreds of costumed strangers and drinking hurricanes at Pat O’Briens. It was amazing.


When did you first feel that you’d officially joined the “published writers’ club”?

Officially, at my book launch party when everyone I knew was holding copies of Amor and Summer Secrets and asking me to sign them. But I’ve also had some recent experiences that have solidified the feeling, like my first emails from teen readers, and an invitation to speak at my alma mater, Boston University. (MKH note: YAY, BOSTON!!) I’m also going to speak at the Chica Lit Club Fiesta hosted by Alisa Valdes Rodriguez. This is particularly cool for me because a couple of years ago I was thinking of saving up money just so I could attend, and now I’ll be one of the featured authors. Crazy.


What was your best/worst memory of high school?

I went to some cool concerts in high school. I saw Alanis at the Theater of Living Arts on South Street in Philly for $8 when she first came out. And I went to Lollapalooza, Lilith Fair, Green Day, Janet Jackson. Good times.


In SISTERS OF MISERY, the last place new members want to go to is Misery Island . But if you had the choice, what island would you go to and what would you take with you?

I went to Bora Bora for my honeymoon, and I’d be happy to return (who wouldn’t? It’s gorgeous). If I went back (should I say, “when” I go back?), I’d bring my husband, a bikini and a snorkel. Pure happiness.


Finally, what can you tell me about your book? Give me a quick run-down about why I’d want to pick it for my own book club.

Adios to All The Drama is the third and final book in the Amor and Summer Secrets series. It just came out through Kensington Publishing in January, and I’m thrilled for readers to see how the story finally unfolds.

In this installment, Mariana Ruiz discovers that the summer fling she thought she left in Puerto Rico , Alex, will soon be coming for a visit. And as her old flame settles into the guestroom two doors down from her, Mariana finds herself conflicted between him and her lingering feelings for her Locker Buddy Bobby.


Additionally, her best friends are little help as Madison deals with her IM-only “boyfriend” and Emily sinks into secret mode after her parents’ recent breakup. The only relationship that seems to be working is her estranged aunt Teresa who’s tying the knot on New Years Eve with Mariana and her cousin Lilly as bridesmaids. But as the wedding details unfold, one question remains. Who will Mariana kiss at midnight?


Adios to All The Drama

Diana Rodriguez Wallach

Kensington Publishing

January 2009

Buy it here:


Diana’s Website:

http://www.dianarodriguezwallach.com

Adios to All The Drama BACK COVER BLUB:

Mariana Ruiz thought she left her summer fling in Puerto Rico, that is until she finds Alex sitting across from her at the breakfast table. Living two doors down from her visiting old flame isn’t easy, especially given the unresolved sparks still lingering for her locker buddy Bobby—and they don’t exactly go unnoticed.

Her best friends are little help as Madison deals with her IM-only “boyfriend” and Emily sinks into secret mode after her parents’ recent breakup. The only relationship that seems to be working is her estranged aunt Teresa who’s tying the knot on New Years with Mariana and her cousin Lilly as bridesmaids. But the last wedding detail left unplanned is who will Mariana kiss at midnight?

Strained friendships, stolen kisses, and secret loves create plenty of surprises to unfold before the New Year’s bells start ringing…


Watch the BOOK TRAILER to Adios to All The Drama



About Diana

Diana Rodriguez Wallach’s debut novel, Amor and Summer Secrets, is the first in a young adult series published by Kensington Publishing in September 2008. The sequels to the series, Amigas and School Scandals and Adios to all the Drama, were released in November 2008 and January 2009, respectively.


Born to a Puerto Rican father and a Polish mother, Diana has experienced the cultures her characters inhabit, and many of the multi-cultural themes expressed in her novels are based on her personal background.


Diana holds a journalism degree from Boston University, and has worked as a reporter and as an advocate for inner city public schools. Her first novel, Amor and Summer Secrets, sold to Kensington Publishing on Fat Tuesday 2007 while she was at Mardi Gras wearing beads and a feathered mask.

She currently lives in Philadelphia with her husband Jordan and her cat Lupi, who was rescued from a shelter in Harlem. Diana enjoys traveling, watching bad TV, reading great novels, practicing yoga and cheering on the Philadelphia Eagles.

(MKH Note: watching bad tv, pdoing yoga, reading great novels and the Boston and Kensington connections? We are totally kindred spirits, Diana! How did we not know this about each other before??)



Bottom line, go out and buy ADIOS TO ALL THE DRAMA today, because, right now that's the attitude we should all have in 2009 (no more drama!!) And most importantly, give some love to us girls with the Kensington Publishing/City of Boston connection. We Bostonians won't hold her current residence of Philadelphia against her. :)

1 comments:

Thanks Megan! And I think we are kindred spirits. You know I'm gonna be speaking at BU at the end of March. I'll keep you posted.